Monday, September 21, 2009

Backstreet's Back


Backstreet's back! My favourite boyband is out with a new single 'Straight Through My Heart (Soldier Down)', and their new album will also be out soon. Who says boyband only attract young girls? I'm a fan of theirs since I started listening to music.

'Tell me why... Ain't nothing but a heartache... Tell me why... Ain't nothing but a mistake' (I want it that way)

'All you people can you see can you see...' (Larger than life)

I remember those are the songs I used to mumble in my mouth along my way to school. Primary school that is! Phew... They have come a long way. Formed in 1992, they are now in their 17th year as a group, and still going strong. Now, they are more like Backstreet 'Men' already. xD

They are one of the starters of the 'Boyband Era' in the 90's. And while many other boybands had come and go, they survived (literally) till today as a group without disbanding. Well... perhaps one of the reason I like to sing their songs a lot is because their songs are typical boyband pop style, which requires much lesser vocal skills to sing compared to R n'B, Rap, and Rock. Basically, their songs just require you to get into the rhythm and you can sing along already. Nowadays, everytime I hear their songs on the radio while I'm driving alone, for sure I will sing along. Okay... I really do sing out loud when I'm driving alone. Coz no one's there to critic me if I sing badly or break my voice! (One of my secrets revealed here!) Lolz xD.

Back to the Boys, after being drifting away from their older voices in their previous 2 albums, this latest song actually brings back the feeling of their older songs. Aiks! It's hard to describe what I mean by their 'older voices'. But if you have been following their songs, I'm sure you can feel a difference in their songs in their past 2 albums compared to their previous ones before that. It's not like the Backstreet Boys of old.

However, 'Straight Through My Heart' is close to their voices in the 90's, with a lil' bit of a techno or dance element in the music, probably because RedOne produced the song. Hehe. Somehow I felt the music of this song and Enrique Iglesias's 'Taking Back My Love'(also produced by RedOne) sounds similar.

Anyway, 5 of my all-time favourite Backstreet Boys' songs remain:
I Want It That Way (1999)
Shape Of My Heart (2000)
I'll Never Break Your Heart (1996)
Drowning (2001)
Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely (1999)

Looking forward to their new album as well as their new songs... :)

'Straight Through My Heart' music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Dc14h_3W0

No comments:

Post a Comment